Job Title: Kennel Attendant
Reports to: Surgical Supervisor
Job Summary: The Kennel Attendant is responsible for cleaning and disinfecting kennels and animal cages, trash pickup on grounds and general housekeeping duties throughout the clinic.
- Maintenance –
- Clean and disinfect kennels, cages and crates according to Infection Control protocols.
- Perform daily floor cleaning in all areas of the clinic (except prep room and surgical suites) according to protocols.
- Assist with laundry as needed.
- Properly prepare and use cleaning and disinfecting solutions safely and in accordance with Infection Control policies and procedures. Uses appropriate safety equipment as required.
- Empty refuse containers and recyclables daily and prepare for pickup as needed.
- Straighten up and clean break room and kitchen area daily.
- General housekeeping of clinic.
- Maintain cleanliness and safety of grounds, parking lot, outdoor areas.
- Maintain grounds (lawn care) as needed.
- Minor repairs to building and grounds as requested.
- Schedule –
- Regular attendance and punctuality is required. Vacations, call outs, and tardiness must be discussed with direct supervisor by phone or in person.
- Flexibility in schedule is required, including the ability to work evenings, early morning, and weekends. Overtime may be needed as determined by the needs of the organization
- May be called upon to handle animals.
- Other duties as assigned
Education & Qualifications
- Must maintain a pleasant and cooperative attitude toward co-workers and clients in all areas of the clinic.
- Must be able to read and understand instruction in English; able to communicate clearly in English verbally and in writing.
- Must be able to follow directions and have keen attention to detail.
Physical Requirements/Work Environment
- High volume hectic Veterinary office similar to medical care/urgent care environment.
- Noise level varies; animals will make noise including dogs barking, cats meowing or screeching, telephones ringing, equipment alert buzzers and tones.
- Must demonstrate cooperative attitude with other staff; be flexible in coordinating work with other needs of various departments in the clinic.
- Must be able to stand and walk for 8 or more hours.
- Must be able to lift and carry up to 50 pounds repeatedly throughout the day without help.
- Must be able to bend and kneel repeatedly.
- Must be able to safely work and reach on hands and knees.
- Must be able to safely use a ladder and step stool; must be able to safely work and reach while using ladder or stool.
- Must be able to safely operate a lawn mower and other equipment as needed to perform duties.
- Must be able to identify own limitations and be willing to ask for help.